- 8 ounces semi-dry country-style sausage
- 2 quarts water
- 1 large head green cabbage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine the sausage and the water in a 4-quart saucepan. Cover and bring it up to a boil. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, Quarter the cabbage and remove its core. Cut the quarters into rough 1 inch slices. Larger pieces are okay too- just a little harder to eat.
- Make sure you still have about 2 quarts of water in the saucepan and add the cut cabbage. It will not be completely submerged right away, but check back in a minute or two and stir things around. The cabbage will cook down, and in about 5 minutes, everything should be submerged in the cooking liquid. If not, add just enough water to barely cover.
- Simmer covered for about 30 minutes. You’re looking for the cabbage to be quite tender. Add the salt. Serve warm hopefully with cornbread.