- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for pan
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 cups spelt flour
- ½ cup plus 2 teaspoons sunflower seeds, toasted
- ½ cup plus 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon flaxseeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 ½ cups milk, room temperature
- ¾ cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with oil. Line with parchment, leaving a 1-inch overhang on long sides. Oil parchment.
- In a bowl, whisk together both flour, ½ cup each sunflower and black sesame seeds, 2 tablespoons each caraway and flaxseeds, the baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, stir together milk, buttermilk, honey, and olive oil until honey is dissolved, Add flour mixture; beat with a wooden spoon until combined, about 1 minute. Transfer to prepared pan; sprinkle with remaining seeds, pressing gently to adhere.
- Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until a tester inserted in center of the loaf comes out clean, about 65 minutes. Let cool in pan on wore rack for 20 minutes, then turn out bread and let cool completely. (Bread can be tightly wrapped and kept at room temperature up to 3 days or frozen up to 1 month.)
Tips/TechniquesReprinted from A New Way to Bake: Classic Recipes Updated with Better-for-You Ingredients from the Modern Pantry by the Editors of Martha Stewart Living. Copyright © 2017 by Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.