- 250g (9 oz) plain wholemeal flour
- 250g (9 oz) plain white flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 420ml (15 fl oz) buttermilk
- extra flour for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 392F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the two types of flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Add the buttermilk and mix until a sticky dough forms.
- Lightly flour a work surface and tip the dough onto it.
- Gently roll and fold the dough a couple of times to bring the mixture together. Do not knead.
- Shape the dough into a ball. Flatten the ball gently with your hand. Score the dough with a deep cross dividing it into quarters. Dust the bread with flour.
- Place onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment and bake for 30 minutes at 392F. The loaf should be golden-brown.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack. This is best eaten on the day of baking.
Tips/TechniquesNote: This recipe contains U.K. measurements and may require conversions to U.S. measurements. It has also not been professionally tested.