This cake can be frozen for up to six months, whole or in slices. For single pieces, slice the cake, and wrap each in plastic before freezing; thaw at room temperature.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter room temperature, plus more for pan
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled) plus more for pan
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cinnamon-Walnut Topping (In a small bowl stir together ¾ cup chopped walnuts, ¾ cup sugar, and 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon.)
- Preheat oven to 350º. Butter and flour a 9-inch nonstick tube pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream and baking soda.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in three additions alternately with sour-cream mixture in two, beginning and ending with flour. Mix just until moistened.
- Spread a third of the batter in pan; sprinkle with a third of topping. Repeat twice, ending with topping. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs, 60 to 70 minutes.
- Cool in pan 30 minutes. Turn out of pan; cool, top side up, on a rack.
Tips/TechniquesNote: For a little more taste and texture, some of the topping is layered with the butter.