- 1 pound broccoli
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- splash of fresh lemon juice
- Cut broccoli into florets. Place them in a steamer basket. Put enough water into the pot so it comes close to the bottom of the steamer, but does not touch it. Put the steamer basket with broccoli in the pot. Bring water to a boil over medium heat. Cover the pot. Steam until the broccoli is tender when pierced with a fork, probably about 5 minutes.
- While broccoli steams, heat a tablespoon or two of olive oil in a small skillet. When hot, add minced garlic and red pepper flakes. Saute for 1 or 2 minutes, until fragrant. Remove from heat. Add a splash of freshly squeezed lemon juice and whisk to combine.
- Transfer broccoli from steamer to a large glass bowl. Pour garlic mixture over the broccoli and toss.
- Serve hot. Makes 2 to 4 servings.