- Tender shoots (Warabi- Japanese, Ho'i'o- Hawaiian, or Ostrich Fern- most of the mainland)
- 3-4 Tbsp. of unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. or more of toasted sesame oil
- Splash of Tamari or shoyu
- Splash of maple syrup or your favorite sweetener
- Grated or finely chopped fresh ginger and turmeric if available
- Fern: Cut fern into 2-3 inch pieces.
- Bring a pot of water to a rapid boil and drop in fern shoots for 3-4 minutes.
- Drain and submerge in an ice water bath to stop the cooking. They should retain their bright green color.
- Cool and let dry out a bit. Add chopped red or green onions and halved cherry tomatoes.
- Dressing: Mix well and dress salad and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Tips/TechniquesFiddlehead ferns are a very rich source of antioxidants Omega 3 and Omega 6, high in iron and fiber, and loaded with Vitamins A and C. The taste is similar to a combination of asparagus, green beans, and young, tender okra.