- For the dough:
- 1 cup warm water (about 110 degrees)
- 1 envelope (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast (2 ¼ teaspoons)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 ¾ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- For the topping:
- 1 stick (1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 1 ½ cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Make the dough: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the water, yeast, honey, and egg; let stand 5 minutes, until foamy. In another bowl, whisk together both flours and salt. Add the flour mixture to the water mixture, and knead on low until dough is smooth and elastic, 5 minutes. Add butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, and knead until incorporated, 4 minutes.
- Shape dough into a ball and return to the mixer bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm spot, 30 minutes. Transfer dough to refrigerator and let rise 8 hours or up to 18 hours.
- Make the topping: Generously butter a 10-inch Bundt pan. In a small bowl, combine ¾ cup brown sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. In another bowl, combine melted butter and remaining ¾ cup sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- Break off 1-inch pieces of dough and roll into balls. Roll in sugar mixture, and layer on top of each other in prepared pan. Drizzle with melted butter mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake, rotating pan halfway through until bread feels firm when pressed lightly and is dark golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pan 5 minutes, then invert onto serving plate and cool 20 minutes more. (If any pieces stick, just pull them out and arrange then back in place.) Serve warm.
Tips/TechniquesReprinted from A New Way to Bake: Classic Recipes Updated with Better-for-You Ingredients from the Modern Pantry by the Editors of Martha Stewart Living. Copyright © 2017 by Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.