How legendary dancer Jacques d’Amboise brought dance to public school kids
May 5, 2021
We take a moment to look back at the career of dancer Jacques d’Amboise, who died Sunday at the age of 86 in his Manhattan home following complications from a stroke. His work with the New York City Ballet, on film and in public schools, brought dance to new heights.
- Jacques d’Amboise called himself a New Yorker with a fancy French name, but was first and foremost a legend in the world of dance, best known as a principal dancer with the New York City Ballet, appearing for decades on stages around the world.
- “If you think back, why are you doing what you’re doing, it’s those early influences,” d’Amboise told Newshour in 2015, “your teachers especially, and your parents, that kind of write the scripts that you end up acting out the rest of your life.”
- Who was Jacques d’Amboise?
- What were some of d’Amboise accomplishments?
- When and Where did he begin to work with public school children and bring dance education to the classroom?
- Why did d’Amboise become a dancer?
- How do you think d’Amboise will be remembered?
Why do you think Jacques d’Amboise dedicated so much of his life to helping young people, many from low-income families, how to dance?
Media literacy: What memories, images and stories are captured in obituaries that are not captured in other types of news articles?
Jacques d’Amboise went all over the world teaching children the joy of dance and ballet.
- What do think these pictures might show about d’Amboise’s work as a professional dancer and his work with children?
- What are some of the facial expressions you see on in the photos?
- What might you not see about the work that goes into dancing from the pictures?
- Can you think of a dancer, musician or singer you would like to work with and learn from? Why did you choose that person?
Media literacy education
What is media literacy?
Media literacy is the ability to access, evaluate and create all types of media, including news media.
All of NewsHour Classroom's resources contain lessons in media literacy, including questions like who produced the piece and what do you know about them?
Start by evaluating this video introducing NewsHour Classroom here.