‘Tridemic’ strains healthcare system ahead of the holidays
November 22, 2022
A so-called “tridemic” is threatening healthcare systems across the country. It’s essentially a triple threat from the spread of flu, RSV and COVID. More than three-quarters of pediatric hospital beds nationwide are occupied, seniors are hospitalized at a higher rate for respiratory illness and flu hospitalizations are at a decade-level high. Dr. Megan Ranney joined Judy Woodruff to discuss. For a transcript of this story, click here.
You may also choose another story from the newscast by clicking on the image below. Then answer the following questions.
- Who are the individuals or groups of people mentioned in the story?
- What is the main idea of the piece?
- Where and When does the story take place?
- Why did the event(s) discussed occur?
- How do you think the NewsHour’s producers decided to produce a story about this topic?
See, Think, Wonder: What did you notice? What did the story make you think? What story would you want to find out more about? Where would you go to learn more?
Media literacy: What additional questions do you have about the way the story was produced (made)?
What students can do: What is RSV, and how can you protect yourself against infection? Watch the following story to learn more.