Daily VideoSeptember 4, 2020
BrainPop: Dr. Fauci discusses young people’s role fighting coronavirus
Today is a special Daily News Story featuring interviews with Dr. Anthony Fauci by BrainPop and the PBS NewsHour!
You can either watch the BrainPop video above (stop video at 6m:34s, if short on time) or NewsHour’s interview with Dr. Fauci (transcript here.), or better yet, both! Read the summary and answer the discussion questions below. Then dive into some of BrainPop’s activities here.
Summary: Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, has been providing advice at to the White House as well as to states and local communities about the novel coronavirus.
- In the BrainPop interview, Dr. Fauci discusses a number of safety measures to take to protect against COVID-19 and explains the meaning of the term vaccine.
- Dr. Fauci has played a vital role for decades in fighting a number of serious illnesses, including HIV/AIDS, Ebola and SARS. In the second half of the video (starting at 6m:35s), BrainPop dives into some fun trivia about Dr. Fauci’s personal life.
- In the NewsHour interview, Dr. Fauci discusses the lag between rising cases and deaths, how schools can decide if it’s safe for in-person learning and why he feels confident about a vaccine.
- Both videos discuss Dr. Fauci’s concerns that there is a growing anti-science attitude among some Americans. However, Dr. Fauci says he has hope a vaccine will be found, and that it’s important to trust scientists whose job it is to seek the truth through hard work, the scientific process and ingenuity.
- What did you learn about the coronavirus that you did not know before?
- Why does the government have departments such as the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and employ scientists like Dr. Fauci?
- What role do young people play in fighting the coronavirus pandemic?
- What question would you most like to ask Dr. Fauci? Why?
- Dr. Fauci has appeared on many news programs regarding his role as key advisor in the coronavirus pandemic. Why do you think Dr. Fauci was particularly interested in doing an interview with BrainPop?
- What were some similarities and differences between the BrainPop and NewsHour interviews?
If there is time: Choose one of the following classroom resources to learn more about the subject of coronavirus.
PBS NewsHour education stories newsletter
Updates for EXTRA’s Super Civics 2020 election teaching resources doc
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Hear from students about what return to school during the continuing pandemic has been like for them Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: Simone Biles, Aly Raisman and other gymnasts on how FBI ‘betrayed’ them, ‘enabled’ Nassar
Hear from U.S. gymnasts testify before Congress on why an FBI investigation into abuse on the team failed them Continue reading
Learn about the results of California’s recall election and why it was triggered Continue reading
Hear from one senator at the forefront of Democratic negotiations on a transformative spending bill Continue reading
Hear from educators around the country on why teaching about 9/11 is important to them — and to students Continue reading