Daily VideoOctober 17, 2017
California’s blazes result in deadliest week of wildfires in recorded state history
As always, please preview the video before showing it to your students.
- Firefighters continue to battle wildfires in Northern California’s wine country. The flames, which erupted on Sunday, October 8th, resulted in the deadliest week of wildfires in recorded state history.
- Officials have now confirmed at least 41 deaths from the wildfires which have destroyed 220,000 acres.
- Several thousand firefighters have been battling the wildfires, including men and women who are incarcerated.
- The cause of the fires remains under investigation. However, the utility company PG&E said high winds and vegetation growth contributed to trees, branches and and debris impacted the electric lines in the region.
- Essential question: How significant is it that various groups of people come together to help during emergencies like the wildfires in Northern California?
- How important is it to find out the cause(s) of the California wildfires? Explain your answer.
- Be sure to read the New York Times article on those fighting California’s wildfires. What qualities do you think the men and women who battle wildfires possess? Do you think the men and women who are incarcerated should make more money? Why or why not?
- Do you think it’s necessary for state and federal agencies to keep records of major events such as wildfires, droughts and floods? Why or why not?
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
As vaccines continue to roll out globally, wealthier nations have been inoculating their populations at a much higher rate than the global South, sparking the debate over “vaccine passports.” Continue reading
Explore how Giffords uses music to heal from traumatic brain injury. Continue reading
Learn about the testimony in the homicide trial of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin. Continue reading
Explore how two classical musicians are trying to change expectations of the genre Continue reading
Discuss promise and obstacles with renewable energy sources Continue reading