Daily VideoJuly 10, 2017
What was outcome of Trump-Putin meeting during G20 summit?
For the sake of time, stop video at the 4-minute mark.
- President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin held their first face-to-face meeting on Friday during the G20 summit in Hamburg, Germany, since Trump took office.
- Trump and Putin discussed Syria and North Korea as well as allegations of Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election.
- During the meeting, Putin and Trump agreed it was best to move forward from the allegations, according to U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson–a decision that several Republican lawmakers disagree with. Putin denied any involvement in the matter. Afterwards, Trump said that Russia likely did play some role in the hacking but stopped short of saying they acted alone.
- Massive demonstrations broke out in the streets by anti-globalization protesters prompting police to use water cannons and tear gas to disperse the crowds.
G20 summit: An global forum made up governments and leaders of central banks from 20 key economies set up to discuss policy issues pertaining to the promotion of international financial stability.
- Essential question: Why does the question of Russia’s role in the 2016 presidential election continue to play a part in discussions by American voters and elected officials?
- Do you agree with Presidents Trump and Putin that it is best to move on from the subject of the Russia meddling allegations? Explain your answer.
- Why do you think G20 protesters are upset about the current talks around globalization? What is it they see as the problems with globalization or elements of the capitalist system? What could you do to find out, if you are not sure?
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
DOWNLOAD VIDEO Directions: Read the summary, watch the video and answer the discussion questions. Have…
Hear from a health expert about what to avoid this holiday season to stay safe Continue reading
What are the warning signs of economic downturn, and what can be done about it? Continue reading
Both anxiety-producing and confusing, election night and the days that followed have kept some teenagers engaged Continue reading
DOWNLOAD VIDEO Directions: Read the summary, watch NewsHour’s video by Christopher Booker and Sam Weber …