Daily VideoDecember 22, 2020
Classroom Resource: The songs we turn to in difficult moments
Summary: Throughout the year, PBS NewsHour CANVAS asked 15 artists and authors which songs they turned during hard times, and put their responses into a playlist. Navigating the stresses of 2020 meant actively looking for moments of joy, and listening to music was one of the ways we weathered 2020’s many crises. The compiled songs brought comfort, occupied our time, brought us together and conjured up better memories from before the pandemic. Below are some of the best songs off the playlist.
- Chef Marcus Samuelsson turned to “Sign o’ the Times” by Prince and “Rise Up” by Andra Day.
- Claudia Rankine said “Phone” by Lizzo is “affirmative and upbeat, and it seems like that’s what I need,” she said. You can listen on YouTube here.
- This year, music duo Louis York turned to “Talkin’ Bout a Revolution” by Tracy Chapman.
- Why do you think music can help people in troubling times? Do you find that music helps you in this way?
- What other activities/methods of coping do you turn to in difficult moments? Can you think of any more you would like to try in the future?
What songs would you include on your playlist, and why? Choose a few songs that have helped you get through this year and write them down/share with the class.
Media literacy: Why do you think the producers of this story approached celebrities for their playlists? Would you rather hear from celebrities or people in your own community for this sort of story?
- Use this lesson plan to learn how music connects us during the pandemic. “For bands in St. Louis, bringing music to the streets of their hometown is how they connect.”
- Watch this video to see how schools in Baltimore, Maryland, use meditation to help students cope with stress and trauma.
Daily News Story by Rebecca Shaid, EXTRA’s intern and student at Northwestern University and Extra’s editor Luke Gerwe.
PBS NewsHour education stories newsletter
Updates for EXTRA’s Super Civics 2020 election teaching resources doc
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Daily News Lesson: How fires, dry conditions are drastically increasing air pollution across California
Hear from one local reporter about why air has never been as polluted in central California as it is right now Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: Five economic terms your students should know about the global supply chain problem
What does the phrase “American supply chain” mean and and how does it affect you and your family and the economy overall? Continue reading
Hear from one young refugee on how poetry and art have helped her process trauma Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: How Trump’s disinformation campaign about 2020 presidential election spreads a dangerous message
Donald Trump in Iowa highlights grievances against Democrats with more lies about the 2020 election that he lost Continue reading
Hear from one law professor about the risk to our electoral system and how to ensure election security going forward Continue reading