Daily VideoAugust 23, 2021
Daily News Lesson: Chaos outside Kabul airport as U.S. seeks to evacuate thousands
Directions: Read the summary, watch the video and answer the discussion questions. To read the transcript of the video, click here.
To learn more about the situation at the Kabul airport, watch the video here or read this article: Crush at Kabul airport kills 7 as Afghans try to flee.
Summary: Protests against the Taliban turned deadly as the insurgents-turned-rulers of Afghanistan shot into crowds in two cities. In Kabul, the airlift of American, allied and Afghan civilians continues as more American troops land at the airport and desperate crowds remain outside. Jane Ferguson reports from Kabul — with the support of the Pulitzer Center — about the fear and hopelessness in Afghanistan.
Warm up questions: Have your students identify the 5Ws and an H:
- Who is able to board planes at the Kabul airport, and who is not?
- What are some of the fears expressed by Afghan citizens in this piece?
- When are U.S. authorities hoping to have U.S. citizens evacuated from Afghanistan?
- Where is the U.S. maintaining a troop presence in Afghanistan?
- Why are many Afghans hoping to leave the country?
- How has the U.S. tried to negotiate with the Taliban over evacuating U.S. citizens and Afghan visa holders?
Focus question: What do you think should be the focus of U.S. government efforts in Afghanistan, now that the Taliban has once again taken control?
Media literacy: Why do you think the full face of the Afghan woman interviewed in this piece is not shown?
- If you would like to hear more Afghan voices to better understand the significance of the Taliban’s takeover, check out this resource from Colorín Colorado.
- This NewsHour segment explores the fears for the safety and freedom of women and girls under the Taliban.
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Hear from the secretary of education and discuss what can be done in your school to address student mental health Continue reading
Learn about the legacy of a man who served in the U.S. military and civilian government during crucial historic moments Continue reading
Find out why one contemporary musician pushed to make a movie out of lost concert footage from decades ago Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: How fires, dry conditions are drastically increasing air pollution across California
Hear from one local reporter about why air has never been as polluted in central California as it is right now Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: Five economic terms your students should know about the global supply chain problem
What does the phrase “American supply chain” mean and and how does it affect you and your family and the economy overall? Continue reading