Daily VideoSeptember 13, 2021
Daily News Lesson: Educators reflect on the significance of teaching about 9/11
Directions: Read the summary, watch the video from Student Reporting Labs and answer the discussion questions. Some students may find it easier to read along with the transcript or turn on closed captions/CC.
Summary: For their first assignment of the school year, high school journalists from our network of Student Reporting Labs asked educators in their schools about the significance of teaching 9/11, what the events meant to them, and why it’s important to study the history before and after that day.
Warm up questions: Have your students identify the 5Ws and an H:
- Who is interviewed for this piece, and what do they have in common?
- What are some of the reasons these teachers believe teaching about 9/11 every year is important?
- Where are some of the different parts of the country that these teachers represent?
- Why was 9/11 personally significant to some of these teachers?
- How might understanding the events of 9/11 and what followed help understand world events today, according to this piece?
- What do you find most meaningful or important in learning about 9/11? What do you still find most confusing or uncertain?
- Do you think 9/11 will be as significant a moment in history for your generation as past crises, such as World War II or the Great Depression? Why or why not?
Media literacy: How do you think using student journalists to interview these teachers shaped the final piece? Why do you think the students themselves were not shown asking questions?
- Follow this lesson plan, which will be updated with stories throughout the days leading up to the 20th anniversary of 9/11.
- Lesson plan: On the anniversary of 9/11, ask your students: How has the world changed?
- This resource offers lessons and teaching strategies for discussing 9/11, including an historical timeline of events on or around its anniversary.
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Learn about the legacy of a man who served in the U.S. military and civilian government during crucial historic moments Continue reading
Find out why one contemporary musician pushed to make a movie out of lost concert footage from decades ago Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: How fires, dry conditions are drastically increasing air pollution across California
Hear from one local reporter about why air has never been as polluted in central California as it is right now Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: Five economic terms your students should know about the global supply chain problem
What does the phrase “American supply chain” mean and and how does it affect you and your family and the economy overall? Continue reading
Hear from one young refugee on how poetry and art have helped her process trauma Continue reading