Daily VideoJune 21, 2021
Daily News Lesson: Highlighting queer couples of color through photography
Directions: Read the summary, watch the video and answer the discussion questions below. To view the full video and transcript, click here.
Summary: Juneteenth celebrates the emancipation of enslaved Black Americans, and Pride Month celebrates the LGBTQ+ community. But while representation of both communities has grown in mainstream culture, it still lags behind for people who are members of both communities. In documentarian Jamal Jordan’s new book, “Queer Love in Color,” he hopes to show the world what love can look like between LGBTQ+ people of color.
Warm up questions: Have your students identify the 5Ws and an H:
- Who is Jamal Jordan?
- What is “Queer Love in Color”?
- Where did he go to find people to photograph?
- Why did he start this project?
- When did Jamal Jordan grow up?
- How does Mr. Jordan describe the importance of visibility of queer love?
- Think about different identifiers you have. Do you see them represented in the world? What might be some positive or negative impacts of having representation in the media and the world at large?
Media literacy: This story both highlights the visuals and written stories of Jamal Jordan’s project. What are the advantages of including multiple types of media when telling this story?
- To see Jamal Jordan’s original piece in the New York Times, click here.
- For more stories on queer people of color and the LGBTQIA+ community, see below:
This Daily News Lesson was written by EXTRA intern Cecilia Curran and EXTRA’s Victoria Pasquantonio. Curran is a sophomore at Amherst College.
PBS NewsHour education stories newsletter
Updates for EXTRA’s Super Civics teaching resources doc
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Hear from the secretary of education and discuss what can be done in your school to address student mental health Continue reading
Learn about the legacy of a man who served in the U.S. military and civilian government during crucial historic moments Continue reading
Find out why one contemporary musician pushed to make a movie out of lost concert footage from decades ago Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: How fires, dry conditions are drastically increasing air pollution across California
Hear from one local reporter about why air has never been as polluted in central California as it is right now Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: Five economic terms your students should know about the global supply chain problem
What does the phrase “American supply chain” mean and and how does it affect you and your family and the economy overall? Continue reading