Daily VideoSeptember 9, 2021
Daily News Lesson: How 9/11 weighs on the generation born after the 2001 attacks
Directions: Read the summary, watch the video from Student Reporting Labs and answer the discussion questions. Some students may find it easier to read along with the transcript or turn on closed captions/CC.
Summary: PBS NewsHour’s Student Reporting Labs network of high school journalism programs across the country gathered the reflections of teenagers to explore the legacy of 9/11 on their generation. They present the voices of young Americans who were born after Sept. 11, 2001, and reveal how their lives were shaped by it.
Warm up questions: Have your students identify the 5Ws and an H:
- Who is interviewed for this piece, and what do they have in common?
- What are some of the feelings expressed by students in this piece?
- When did the first students born after 9/11 graduate high school?
- Why do some of these students express optimism or hope?
- How are these students’ lives impacted by the legacy of 9/11, according to this piece?
- What are some of the ways the legacy of 9/11 has impacted you (feel free to share only what you are comfortable sharing).
- How do you think the legacy of 9/11 will shape U.S. society going forward?
Media literacy: Why do you think the producers of this piece chose students of a similar age to interview?
- Follow this lesson plan, which will be updated with stories throughout the days leading up to the 20th anniversary of 9/11.
- Lesson plan: On the anniversary of 9/11, ask your students: How has the world changed?
- This resource offers lessons and teaching strategies for discussing 9/11, including an historical timeline of events on or around its anniversary.
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Hear from the secretary of education and discuss what can be done in your school to address student mental health Continue reading
Learn about the legacy of a man who served in the U.S. military and civilian government during crucial historic moments Continue reading
Find out why one contemporary musician pushed to make a movie out of lost concert footage from decades ago Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: How fires, dry conditions are drastically increasing air pollution across California
Hear from one local reporter about why air has never been as polluted in central California as it is right now Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: Five economic terms your students should know about the global supply chain problem
What does the phrase “American supply chain” mean and and how does it affect you and your family and the economy overall? Continue reading