Daily VideoJune 24, 2021
Daily News Lesson: How Carl Nassib’s coming out may be a starting point to alter ‘macho’ NFL attitudes
Directions: Read the summary, watch the video and answer the discussion questions below. To view the full video and transcript, click here.
Summary: Footballer Carl Nassib’s decision to come out as gay on Monday makes him the first active player in the NFL’s history to do so. Others have come out only after they retired or left the game. Nassib, however, is a five-year veteran defensive lineman, currently playing for the Las Vegas Raiders.
Warm up questions: Have your students identify the 5Ws and an H:
- Who is Carl Nassib?
- Where does he play?
- What happened to Michael Sam? Why is his story different than Nassib’s?
- When did the first NFL player come out as gay (in retirement)?
- How does columnist L.Z. Granderson see Nassib’s decision to come out as impactful? What does he anticipate in the near future?
- Why do you think Nassib is the first active player to come out?
- What might be some of the ways that leagues like the NFL could be more inclusive and welcoming to players?
Media literacy: In this piece, the content is primarily delivered by an interview with L.Z. Granderson. What additional perspectives do you think could have been added to further your understanding? What other forms of media could also have been used to deliver information?
- To learn more about the LGBTQ community and athletics, see these pieces from PBS NewsHour:
- To read more about the history of LGBTQIA+ male professional athletes, read this article on the MLB and this article on the NFL
This Daily News Lesson was written by EXTRA intern Cecilia Curran and EXTRA’s Victoria Pasquantonio. Curran is a sophomore at Amherst College.
PBS NewsHour education stories newsletter
Updates for EXTRA’s Super Civics teaching resources doc
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Read and discuss the impact of Dasia Taylor’s new color changing sutures Continue reading
PBS NewsHour explores the issue with wildfires in the west. Continue reading
On this episode of “On Our Minds,” a podcast made by teenagers for teenagers on mental health, Noah and Zion discuss the body’s reaction to depression and the relationship between physical and mental illness. Continue reading
In a Brief But Spectacular take, a formerly incarcerated artist discusses how art helped him grow Continue reading
PBS NewsHour discusses the next steps for countries as the Delta variant spreads Continue reading