Daily VideoOctober 8, 2021
Daily News Lesson: How false claims of election fraud are eroding American democracy
Directions: Read the summary, watch the video and answer the discussion questions. Some students may find it easier to read along with the transcript or turn on closed captions/CC.
Summary: For a deeper look at the efforts to undermine election integrity in the United States — and what can be done to stop it — Judy Woodruff is joined by Rick Hasen, professor at the University of California Irvine, and author of the book “Election Meltdown: Dirty Tricks, Distrust, and the Threat to American Democracy.”
Warm up questions: Have your students identify the 5Ws and an H:
- Who is interviewed in this piece, and what is his background?
- What are some of Hasen’s concerns about the integrity of U.S. elections?
- When and Where did false fraud claims start to threaten electoral systems?
- Why was the U.S. on the verge of a “a political and constitutional crisis”?
- How could U.S. elections be improved to safeguard them against attacks and mistrust?
- What do you think are some good ways to ensure trust in the fairness of the country’s elections?
- What do you think are the best ways to ensure the security and accuracy of results?
- Are trust in the results of elections and security of elections the same? Why or why not?
Media literacy: How do you think someone that doubts the fairness of the 2020 presidential election (such as Donald Trump) respond to Hasen? Do you think such a voice should be given equal time to respond? Why or why not?
- For more on President Trump’s attempts to overturn the 2020 election, and the long-term effects on trust and polarized perceptions of election integrity, watch the following report from Amna Nawaz.
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Hear from the secretary of education and discuss what can be done in your school to address student mental health Continue reading
Learn about the legacy of a man who served in the U.S. military and civilian government during crucial historic moments Continue reading
Find out why one contemporary musician pushed to make a movie out of lost concert footage from decades ago Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: How fires, dry conditions are drastically increasing air pollution across California
Hear from one local reporter about why air has never been as polluted in central California as it is right now Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: Five economic terms your students should know about the global supply chain problem
What does the phrase “American supply chain” mean and and how does it affect you and your family and the economy overall? Continue reading