Daily VideoJuly 13, 2021
Daily News Lesson: Is the Pfizer booster shot necessary to beat the Delta variant?
Directions: Read the summary, watch the video and answer the discussion questions below. To view the full video and transcript, click here.
Summary: Pfizer’s recent push to add a booster shot to its COVID-19 vaccination protocol seems to be at odds with what many people understood about the drug’s effectiveness. And, as William Brangham reports, it has also prompted real concern among healthcare professionals. Dr. Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo, a professor of epidemiology and biostatistics at the University of California joins to discuss.
- Who is Dr. Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo and what is her background?
- What is a booster shot?
- Why does Pfizer believe an extra booster might be needed? Why do some people disagree?
- When does some evidence suggest the first two doses of vaccine start to become less effective?
- How does Dr. Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo suggest the U.S. and big pharmaceutical companies like Pfizer should move forward?
- Reporter William Brangham and expert Dr. Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo describe two ways that the United States can approach vaccinations from this point forward. Do you think it’s better to use large but limited numbers of vaccine doses to provide boosters or vaccinate more people around the world? How come?
Media literacy: This segment refers to data about vaccines, including that this one vaccine is “93 percent effective.” What do you think that number refers to? Is that clear in the piece? To learn more about data literacy, see this article. To learn more about what efficacy means with COVID vaccines, check out this Daily News Lesson.
- For more on the arguments against focusing on booster shots right now, see this article.
- For more of PBS NewsHour’s coverage on recent COVID-19 news, see these videos.
This Daily News Lesson was written by EXTRA intern Cecilia Curran and EXTRA’s Victoria Pasquantonio. Curran is a sophomore at Amherst College.
PBS NewsHour education stories newsletter
Updates for EXTRA’s Super Civics teaching resources doc
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Learn about the international negotiations that go into climate change reduction Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: U.S. plan to share Pfizer shots globally ‘too little and too late,’ ex-CDC director says
The Biden administration announced Wednesday that the U.S. was purchasing an additional 500 million Pfizer COVID vaccines to donate to other nations. Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: Inmates released to home confinement during pandemic fear ‘devastating’ reincarceration
Hear from people released from prison because of COVID, and how they’re pushing to stay in their homes Continue reading
Hear from documentarian Ken Burns on how and why he made his latest series about Muhammad Ali Continue reading
Learn about the U.S. response to a surprisingly large group of Haitian migrants camped on the southern U.S. border Continue reading