Daily VideoJuly 7, 2021
Daily News Lesson: New PBS doc explores the history of Confederate statues
Directions: Read the summary, watch the video and answer the discussion questions below. To read the transcript of the video, click here.
Summary: Comedian and journalist C.J. Hunt joins to discuss his new POV documentary, “The Neutral Ground,” which explores the burning issues of Confederate statues. The documentary, which aired on PBS on Monday, July 5, follows the removal of four of Confederate statues in New Orleans and discusses why some of these symbols continue to hold power in our nation.
Warm up questions: Have your students identify the 5Ws and an H:
- Who is C.J. Hunt?
- What is the meaning behind the documentary title, “The Neutral Ground?”
- Why does Hunt create comedy?
- When did C.J. Hunt’s career in comedy begin?
- Where is the documentary set?
- How are monuments “maps of power,” according to Hunt?
- C.J. Hunt says the goal of the documentary isn’t to encourage reconciliation with white supremacists, but that “the work is actually reckoning.” What do you think the words “reconciliation” and “reckoning” mean here, and how do they differ?
- Hunt refers to the Christopher Columbus and Civil War narratives as “the most effective propaganda campaign that has ever been waged in American history.” What does he mean by this? Can you think of other examples from history class?
Media literacy: How does the impact of the scenes with the Civil War reenactment actors change once the actors themselves reveal their opinions?
- Check out the Augmented Reality exhibition in Los Angeles that explores the meaning and significance of monuments
This Daily News Lesson was written by EXTRA intern Jacqueline Kim and EXTRA’s Victoria Pasquantonio. Kim is a junior at Amherst College.
PBS NewsHour education stories newsletter
Updates for EXTRA’s Super Civics teaching resources doc
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Hear from students about what return to school during the continuing pandemic has been like for them Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: Simone Biles, Aly Raisman and other gymnasts on how FBI ‘betrayed’ them, ‘enabled’ Nassar
Hear from U.S. gymnasts testify before Congress on why an FBI investigation into abuse on the team failed them Continue reading
Learn about the results of California’s recall election and why it was triggered Continue reading
Hear from one senator at the forefront of Democratic negotiations on a transformative spending bill Continue reading
Hear from educators around the country on why teaching about 9/11 is important to them — and to students Continue reading