Daily VideoApril 13, 2021
Daily News Lesson: Police killing of Daunte Wright sparks protest
Directions: Read the summary, watch the video and answer the discussion questions. Note: This video begins halfway through the broadcast segment and does not contain graphic footage. (The full video on the NewsHour’s website contains footage of the shooting and additional graphic footage.) Teachers may want to refer to this resource by Colorín colorado about discussing community violence with your students.
Summary: As the trial of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin went into a third week of testimony Monday, a police killing of a motorist in a neighboring community has once again left the region reeling.
- Twenty-year-old Daunte Wright was shot and killed by a police officer during a traffic stop on Sunday, April 10.
- Police have claimed the shooting was an accident, and that the officer had confused her gun with a stun gun. The officer has since resigned.
- Wright’s death echoes the killing of George Floyd just as Officer Derek Chauvin is being tried for Floyd’s murder.
Warm up questions: Have your students identify the 5Ws and an H:
- Who is interviewed for this segment?
- Why are many in the Minneapolis community skeptical of the claim that the shooting was accidental, according to those interviewed here?
- What are some of the circumstances that lead to police shootings, according to this interview?
- How do the individuals interviewed in this piece explain that this killing doesn’t represent just an isolated accident?
- Where did the shooting of Daunte Wright take place, and why is that location significant?
- Why do you think the two individuals interviewed here downplay the importance of training as a way to eliminate this kind of police shooting?
- It is normal to feel upset after hearing this story and others about gun violence and police shootings. Who are trusted people at your school and home you could talk with about how you are feeling?
Media literacy: Why do you think the two individuals interviewed in this segment were chosen to discuss the shooting?
You may want to watch this video interview with Daunte Wright’s parents and discuss the impact of police killings on family and community:
PBS NewsHour education stories newsletter
Updates for EXTRA’s Super Civics teaching resources doc
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
President Joe Biden has given the initial nod for the U.S. to waive patent rights on COVID vaccines to boost international production. Continue reading
Hear from the secretary of Homeland Security about why reuniting separated families is a Biden administration priority Continue reading
Learn about the life of Jacques d’Amboise, ballet dancer who brought free dance education to public schools Continue reading
Understand why India is experiencing its worst COVID crisis even as other countries begin to recover Continue reading
Discuss whether public schools should be able to punish students for speech outside of the school Continue reading