Daily VideoJuly 12, 2021
Daily News Lesson: Origins of Surfside condo collapse and roles of condo boards
Directions: Read the summary, watch the video and answer the discussion questions below. To view the full video and transcript, click here.
Summary: As efforts in Surfside, Florida shift from rescue to recovery, more attention will turn to events leading up to the Chaplain Towers’ collapse. Part of the inquiry will focus on the actions and inactions of the condominium’s homeowner’s board. Stephanie Sy reports with Evan McKenzie of the University of Illinois in Chicago. McKenzie is the author of two books on condo and homeowner associations.
- When did the report on the condo building come out?
- Why did the building not get the repairs it needed?
- Who runs and organizes condo buildings? What qualifications do they need?
- What does Mr. McKenzie describe as the bigger problem with condominium associations across America?
- How does Mr. McKenzie suggest we work to solve the greater problem facing condo buildings?
- What are all the problems that McKenzie and anchor Stephanie Sy outline? Do you think that the solutions they provide will solve the stated problems? Why or why not?
- Media Literacy: Why do you think the producers chose to interview Mr. McKenzie? What does his expertise provide to the piece? What might the piece be missing because they only interviewed one person?
- For more about building infrastructure and why a condo building might fall, see this article.
- For more coverage by the NewsHour on the Surfside condo collapse, see these videos
This Daily News Lesson was written by EXTRA intern Cecilia Curran and EXTRA’s Victoria Pasquantonio. Curran is a sophomore at Amherst College.
PBS NewsHour education stories newsletter
Updates for EXTRA’s Super Civics teaching resources doc
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Hear from documentarian Ken Burns on how and why he made his latest series about Muhammad Ali Continue reading
Learn about the U.S. response to a surprisingly large group of Haitian migrants camped on the southern U.S. border Continue reading
Hear from students about what return to school during the continuing pandemic has been like for them Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: Simone Biles, Aly Raisman and other gymnasts on how FBI ‘betrayed’ them, ‘enabled’ Nassar
Hear from U.S. gymnasts testify before Congress on why an FBI investigation into abuse on the team failed them Continue reading
Learn about the results of California’s recall election and why it was triggered Continue reading