Daily VideoSeptember 17, 2021
Daily News Lesson: These students say returning to school feels ‘unpredictable, unprecedented’
Directions: Read the summary, watch the video from Student Reporting Labs and answer the discussion questions. Some students may find it easier to read along with the transcript or turn on closed captions/CC.
Summary: Millions of students are heading back to school in person after a year of online learning. We asked students in our Student Reporting Labs network what returning to in-person learning looks and feels like amid new delta variant concerns, vaccinations debates and mask mandates.
Warm up questions: Have your students identify the 5Ws and an H:
- Who are some of the students interviewed in this piece and where are they from?
- What are some of the continued concerns that the students describe?
- When did most students return to full, in-person learning?
- Why do some of these students express optimism or hope?
- How has the delta variant changed concerns about students and in-person learning?
- What have been some of the things that are hard to adapt to so far this year, and what gives you some optimism or hope?
- What has surprised you the most about the way back-to-school is arranged at your school this year?
Media literacy: Do you think the perspectives of students in this piece are representative of the overall population of student perspectives in the U.S.? Why or why not?
- See this lesson on the delta variant and the debate around additional booster vaccines.
- Check out this Daily News Lesson for the latest on the federal government’s more aggressive push to increase vaccination numbers and limit the spread of the delta variant.
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Daily News Lesson: How fires, dry conditions are drastically increasing air pollution across California
Hear from one local reporter about why air has never been as polluted in central California as it is right now Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: Five economic terms your students should know about the global supply chain problem
What does the phrase “American supply chain” mean and and how does it affect you and your family and the economy overall? Continue reading
Hear from one young refugee on how poetry and art have helped her process trauma Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: How Trump’s disinformation campaign about 2020 presidential election spreads a dangerous message
Donald Trump in Iowa highlights grievances against Democrats with more lies about the 2020 election that he lost Continue reading
Hear from one law professor about the risk to our electoral system and how to ensure election security going forward Continue reading