Daily VideoNovember 12, 2020
How musical traditions are passed on to new generations
Directions: Read the summary, watch the video and answer the discussion questions. To read a transcript of the video, click here.
Summary: The blues is a quintessentially American art form, yet one whose early masters have mostly passed away. The genre relies on each succeeding generation to renew and reinvigorate it. In Clarksdale, Mississippi, 21-year-old guitarist Christone “Kingfish” Ingram is taking up that mantle.
- Ingram mentions that his friends would make fun of him for being interested in older musical styles, but he wanted to explore his history and culture.
- Ingram is one of many young performance artists trying to build a career at a time when many music venues are closed or limiting capacity.
Warm up questions: Have your students identify the 5Ws and an H:
- Who is this story about?
- What is the musical tradition he is carrying on?
- Where and for how long has this artist been performing?
- Why has this year been especially challenging for performing musicians?
- How has this artist helped preserve an art form, according to this piece?
Then have students share with the class or through a Learning Management System (LMS).
- Can you think of music or art made by past generations that inspires you? If so, what is it?
- How do you think the pandemic has changed performance art or other arts, and do you think some of those changes will be permanent?
Media literacy: Why do you think the journalist decided to focus on this one young artist?
- Use this lesson to explore how art can help overcome trauma, including the mental health toll of isolation during the pandemic.
- This story covers ways the music industry is trying to adapt to closures and entertainment venue restrictions.
PBS NewsHour education stories newsletter
EXTRA’s Super Civics 2020 election teaching series newsletter
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Hear from the secretary of education and discuss what can be done in your school to address student mental health Continue reading
Learn about the legacy of a man who served in the U.S. military and civilian government during crucial historic moments Continue reading
Find out why one contemporary musician pushed to make a movie out of lost concert footage from decades ago Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: How fires, dry conditions are drastically increasing air pollution across California
Hear from one local reporter about why air has never been as polluted in central California as it is right now Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: Five economic terms your students should know about the global supply chain problem
What does the phrase “American supply chain” mean and and how does it affect you and your family and the economy overall? Continue reading