Daily VideoSeptember 14, 2018
3D printer technology gives girl her hand back
Directions: Read the summary below first, then watch the video and answer the discussion questions. To help students follow along, turn on the closed captions function marked “CC” or use the transcript.
Discuss questions as a class or with a partner or craft a written response.
1. Essential question: How have inventions affected the lives of those living with a disability?
2. What other problems might be solved through 3D-printing?
3. Jacob Knorr founded the EnableUC program to promote 3D-printing technology as a way to bridge the gap between engineering and medicine. What gaps do you think might exist between these two fields and why?
4. Do you know someone in your life who has been helped by an invention? What do you know about the invention that helped him/her? How could you find out, if you’re not sure?
5. How does empathy influence EnableUC’s work? If given the opportunity, what would you like to ask these young inventors?
In the interactive lesson, Design Apps That Help Others and Build Empathy, (takes just a few seconds to sign up) students will discover how new apps are improving the lives of people with a disability or illness and helping to raise empathy. Through original student-produced videos via PBS NewsHour Student Reporting Labs, students will learn about individuals who have overcome challenges and went on to help others. Then, students will use their knowledge of the invention process to invent their own app which addresses a problem facing their school or community.
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Learn about the ways the ADA has shaped life for Americans with disabilities and ways more change may still be needed. Continue reading
Explore how the pandemic is affecting the music industry—and how that affects the larger economy. Continue reading
Understand what is unusual about what’s happening right now amid protests in Portland. Continue reading
Use these teacher-written lesson plans to inspire your students to engage with their communities. Continue reading
Meet a doctor who sees financial advice as a key component of health advice to her patients. Continue reading