Daily VideoSeptember 14, 2018
3D printer technology gives girl her hand back
Directions: Read the summary below first, then watch the video and answer the discussion questions. To help students follow along, turn on the closed captions function marked “CC” or use the transcript.
Discuss questions as a class or with a partner or craft a written response.
1. Essential question: How have inventions affected the lives of those living with a disability?
2. What other problems might be solved through 3D-printing?
3. Jacob Knorr founded the EnableUC program to promote 3D-printing technology as a way to bridge the gap between engineering and medicine. What gaps do you think might exist between these two fields and why?
4. Do you know someone in your life who has been helped by an invention? What do you know about the invention that helped him/her? How could you find out, if you’re not sure?
5. How does empathy influence EnableUC’s work? If given the opportunity, what would you like to ask these young inventors?
In the interactive lesson, Design Apps That Help Others and Build Empathy, (takes just a few seconds to sign up) students will discover how new apps are improving the lives of people with a disability or illness and helping to raise empathy. Through original student-produced videos via PBS NewsHour Student Reporting Labs, students will learn about individuals who have overcome challenges and went on to help others. Then, students will use their knowledge of the invention process to invent their own app which addresses a problem facing their school or community.
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Daily News Lesson: How fires, dry conditions are drastically increasing air pollution across California
Hear from one local reporter about why air has never been as polluted in central California as it is right now Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: Five economic terms your students should know about the global supply chain problem
What does the phrase “American supply chain” mean and and how does it affect you and your family and the economy overall? Continue reading
Hear from one young refugee on how poetry and art have helped her process trauma Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: How Trump’s disinformation campaign about 2020 presidential election spreads a dangerous message
Donald Trump in Iowa highlights grievances against Democrats with more lies about the 2020 election that he lost Continue reading
Hear from one law professor about the risk to our electoral system and how to ensure election security going forward Continue reading