Daily VideoDecember 20, 2017
Free eye exams and glasses give these students vision to learn
Video Summary: If time is of the essence, stop the video at 4m:15s or 6m:15s.
- A new program called Vision for Baltimore provides eye exams and two pairs of glasses free of charge to every K-8 student in Baltimore City who needs them.
- About 25 percent of students in Baltimore who need glasses do not have access to them due to their high cost and the high level of poverty in Baltimore.
- More than 30 percent of children live below the poverty line in Baltimore; the national average is 22 percent.
- City health department officials, a nonprofit organization called Vision to Learn, researchers from Johns Hopkins University and the eye wear retailer Warby Parker are working together to provide the exams, prescriptions, and fashionable glasses.
- Researchers from John Hopkins report students improve academically after getting glasses.
- Essential question: How does poverty affect a child’s opportunity to learn?
- Do you know someone who wears glasses who wouldn’t be able to perform everyday functions without them?
- Whose responsibility is it to help children get access to proper health care? Explain your answer.
- Besides improved academic learning, can you think of other long term benefits that providing glasses to those who need them may have on society?
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Hear from the secretary of education and discuss what can be done in your school to address student mental health Continue reading
Learn about the legacy of a man who served in the U.S. military and civilian government during crucial historic moments Continue reading
Find out why one contemporary musician pushed to make a movie out of lost concert footage from decades ago Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: How fires, dry conditions are drastically increasing air pollution across California
Hear from one local reporter about why air has never been as polluted in central California as it is right now Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: Five economic terms your students should know about the global supply chain problem
What does the phrase “American supply chain” mean and and how does it affect you and your family and the economy overall? Continue reading