Daily VideoJanuary 27, 2017
How Trump’s persistence on voter fraud accusations could affect voting rights
Note to teachers: For a shorter lesson, stop video at 2:35 or 5:30.
- President Trump repeated the unproven claim this week that millions of illegal votes were cast in the presidential election and says he will order a federal investigation to look into the matter.
- Top Republicans, including House Speaker Paul Ryan and Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), said they have not seen any evidence of widespread voter fraud in the November election.
- Expanding controversial voter I.D. laws could be one outcome of the investigation, according to White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer.
- Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) and leading Democrats say such an investigation is a way to accelerate voter suppression.
- “Voter fraud may be very, very isolated, but at the end of the day, it is nearly nonexistent,” said California’s Secretary of State Alex Padilla.
Class discussion questions
- Essential question: How important is voting in a democracy?
- How significant is the issue of voter fraud in the U.S.?
- Why do you think President Trump is calling for a federal investigation into voter fraud during the presidential election if top officials say there is no evidence that such fraud took place?
- How could an investigation into voter fraud lead to stricter voter I.D. laws down the road?
Extension activity with video:
Voter turnout in the U.S. is quite low based on a variety of reasons. Less than 60 percent of eligible voters voted in the 2016 general election. Yet, for many Americans, voting is a very meaningful, almost sacred duty. In this lesson, To Vote or Not to Vote, students will view three short films that explore the importance of voting.
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Learn about the ways the ADA has shaped life for Americans with disabilities and ways more change may still be needed. Continue reading
Explore how the pandemic is affecting the music industry—and how that affects the larger economy. Continue reading
Understand what is unusual about what’s happening right now amid protests in Portland. Continue reading
Use these teacher-written lesson plans to inspire your students to engage with their communities. Continue reading
Meet a doctor who sees financial advice as a key component of health advice to her patients. Continue reading