Daily VideoJune 14, 2017
Jeff Sessions continues dramatic Senate testimonies
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions testified before the Senate Intelligence Committee on June 12, 2017. He stated that he had never had any conversations with Russian officials about any type of interference in the 2016 presidential election.
- Sessions declined to discuss conversations he had with President Trump about the firing of former FBI director James Comey or his own recusal from the FBI investigation of possible Russian ties to the election. Sessions’ reluctance to answer questions created frustration on the part of Democratic senators.
- His testimony diverged from Comey’s in several respects, including the aftermath of Comey’s private meeting with Trump in the Oval Office. Comey said that Sessions did not respond when he stated that it should never happen again, but Sessions said that he agreed with Comey on the importance of maintaining proper protocol.
- On the subject of Comey’s firing, Sessions maintained that he had concerns about management of the FBI under Comey.
- Essential question: Why is Sessions’ testimony before the Senate Intelligence Committee important?
- How was Sessions’ refusal to comment on his conversations with Trump different than executive privilege? What is executive privilege?
- Why might Sessions have been reluctant to divulge some of his private conversations with the president?
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Discuss how competing interests may be putting conflicting pressures on schools planning their fall reopenings. Continue reading
After years of activist pressure, some sports franchises are formally considering name changes. Why do these name changes matter? Continue reading
How can students cultivate good outcomes for themselves and their communities through social media? Continue reading
Examine shifts in public policy and plans for the fall as coronavirus cases ramp up in mid-summer. Continue reading
In this lesson plan, uncover the hidden economy behind our quarantine takeout orders. Continue reading