Daily VideoJune 11, 2018
North Korea’s Kim Jong Un and Donald Trump meet face-to-face
Update since the summit:
- Early Tuesday morning in Washington, the White House released the text of the document signed by President Trump and North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un after their summit in Singapore. Read the text of the document here.
- You may also want to read the PBS NewsHour article: Trump and Kim signed a joint statement. What does it mean?
- President Donald Trump and North Korea’s Kim Jong Un are scheduled to meet on Tuesday morning in Singapore. Possible topics include North Korea’s nuclear program, officially ending the Korean War that began in 1950 and removing North Korea from state-sponsored lists of terrorists.
- Kim Jong Un has followed in the dictatorial footsteps of his father and grandfather, and had not met with a single foreign leader before six months ago. In the past year, Kim and Trump have exchanged fiery tweets, each leader stating the strength of their nuclear weapons’ programs.
- North Korea is a single party state, the Workers Party of Korea, which was communist and now aligns to Juche, a combination of collectivism and nationalism.
- The people of North Korea have faced decades of widespread starvation and brutal human rights abuses including lack of basic freedoms, forced labor and re-education camps and political executions.
- Essential question: What is the significance of the summit between North Korea and the United States?
- What do you know about the Korean War? How does it relate to today’s conflict between North Korea and the U.S.?
- Media literacy questions: What is the purpose of Trump and Kim Jong Un meeting face-to-face? What effects have social media had on diplomatic relations between the two countries and relations between world leaders?
- What are the risks and benefits of the summit for the U.S. and North Korea? The world? Explain.
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
This NewsHour lesson on vaccinations asks students: How can helping people overcome vaccine skepticism help your community? Continue reading
Learn more about the life of Vernon Jordan, civil rights leader and lawyer, who died on Monday at the age of 85. Continue reading
A new vaccine is approved, but some experts fear that states may be opening up a little too early Continue reading
Reflect on one teacher’s project to help students see the living history in their own time Continue reading
Discuss the film One Night in Miami and the reasons it was made Continue reading