Daily VideoJune 19, 2017
Outrage follows the acquittal of officer who killed Philando Castile
- Officer Jeronimo Yanez fatally shot Philando Castile in front of his girlfriend and her four-year-old daughter during a traffic stop in Minnesota in July 2016. Yanez said he believed Castile was reaching for a gun, which Castile’s family and girlfriend disputed.
- Yanez was later charged with one count of second-degree manslaughter and endangering safety in November 2016, as well as two felony counts for recklessly discharging the gun.
- However, after five days of deliberations, a jury found Yanez not guilty of all charges on Friday.
- After the verdict, several thousand protesters gathered around the Minnesota State Capitol building in St. Paul to voice their anger about the decision.
- Some demonstrators moved to Interstate 94, a highway near Minneapolis and St. Paul, and marched while facing police in riot gear. Eighteen marchers were arrested after failing to disperse.
- Essential question: How does the court’s decision add to the ongoing debate about police conduct and race relations in the United States?
- Over the past several years, multiple young African-American men have been fatally shot by police officers. Can you recall some of the other cases? How are they similar or different to the Philando Castile case?
- Philando Castile’s sister said that “(t)he system really is wrong, and they really failed us.” What is the system and how, in his sister’s opinion, did it fail Philando Castile and his family?
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Hear from the secretary of education and discuss what can be done in your school to address student mental health Continue reading
Learn about the legacy of a man who served in the U.S. military and civilian government during crucial historic moments Continue reading
Find out why one contemporary musician pushed to make a movie out of lost concert footage from decades ago Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: How fires, dry conditions are drastically increasing air pollution across California
Hear from one local reporter about why air has never been as polluted in central California as it is right now Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: Five economic terms your students should know about the global supply chain problem
What does the phrase “American supply chain” mean and and how does it affect you and your family and the economy overall? Continue reading