Daily VideoAugust 24, 2009
Poetry Video Series
How are artists reacting to the current economic situation? How do poets explain their memories? How do they commemorate the new president or articulate identities both modern and traditional?
In this video package of nine NewsHour Poetry pieces, American poets from a variety of backgrounds explore the written and spoken word to explain the world around them.
Divide students into nine groups and ask them to answer the following warm up and discussion questions. Once the student groups have answered questions for their own poetry piece, allow them to roam about the room and ask other students about their videos and discuss the similarities and differences between their featured poets.
Warm Up Questions
1. Who is your favorite poet? Why?
2. Name some important poems. Why are they important? What is their meaning?
1. What images or words from the poem stood out for you? How did the poet use language differently than you are used to hearing?
2. What does this poem say about the current (economic, political, social) state in America?
3. Did this poem feel familiar to you or distant? Why?
4. How would you find out if there are any poets in your community? See if there are any performances or book readings, and then talk to the poet about if and how their community has changed their perspective.
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Discuss why many Americans are struggling this holiday season and how 2021 might be different Continue reading
DOWNLOAD VIDEO Directions: Read the summary, watch the video and answer the discussion questions. Have…
Hear from a health expert about what to avoid this holiday season to stay safe Continue reading
What are the warning signs of economic downturn, and what can be done about it? Continue reading
Both anxiety-producing and confusing, election night and the days that followed have kept some teenagers engaged Continue reading