Daily VideoSeptember 14, 2020
Presidential candidates focus in on Pennsylvania
Directions: Read the summary, watch the video, and answer the discussion questions. To read the transcript of the video above, click here.
Summary: Both President Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden have honed in on Pennsylvania as a critical state to win in 2020. Polling in the state is close, and Pennsylvania narrowly flipped to the Republicans in 2016 after it was won two cycles in a row by Obama. Some voters in the state have had concerns over the economy that predate the COVID-19 pandemic, and both candidates are pushing an economic message there.
- Have your students identify the 5Ws and an H:
- Who is the story about?
- What is important about these particular voters?
- When and where is this happening?
- Why are candidates focusing on Pennsylvania now?
- How are the candidates trying to appeal to Pennsylvania voters?
Then have students share with the class or through a Learning Management System (LMS).
2. Focus question: Because Pennsylvania is a “swing state” where polls are close, candidates are spending much more time there than some other states. How do you think the existence of swing states changes the way candidates appeal to voters?
3. Media literacy: What Pennsylvania voters do you think this story has left out? Why are their voices important?
Dig deeper: Want to learn more about the electoral college and figure out what each candidate needs to win this fall? Use this lesson plan and resource from PBS’s Election Collection to game out electoral college votes for the candidates.
PBS NewsHour education stories newsletter
Updates for EXTRA’s Super Civics 2020 election teaching resources doc
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Learn how voters respond to politicians playing up threats and fears Continue reading
Explore why swing states become the center of attention for presidential candidates and how the Electoral College system works Continue reading
Learn what happened this week, including what’s happening in an unprecedented presidential race Continue reading
What do experts and voting officials think is the most secure way to vote? Continue reading
Explore how the nomination and confirmation process works for Supreme Court nominees Continue reading