Daily VideoJuly 17, 2017
Quotes, votes and anecdotes: What is “opposition research”?
- President Trump’s son, Donald J. Trump Jr., released an email exchange between him and a publicist, who informed him that a Russian lawyer could provide damaging information about Hillary Clinton. The information was said to be “part of Russia and its government’s support for Mr. Trump.”
- Trump Jr. later met with the lawyer, Natalia Veselnitskaya, along with then-campaign manager Paul Manafort and President Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner.
- Trump Jr. has defended himself by saying that the meeting was standard “opposition research.”
- According to Christina Reynolds, a former Hillary Clinton campaign official, opposition research consists of gathering public information about another candidate such as vote history, tax records and personal stories. She and Tim Miller, a former campaign official for Jeb Bush, agreed that there are legal and ethical boundaries to opposition research. Information must be publicly available and trustworthy, for example.
- Reynolds said, “You certainly don’t do something with a hostile government…you make sure that you trust the veracity of the information and the source,” she said. Miller said, “[Russia] was a country that is out there to undermine our interests on the world stage.”
- Essential question: What do the terms “ethical” and “fair” mean in the context of a presidential election campaign?
- Why is it a violation of campaign law for a campaign to accept a “thing of value” from a foreign government? Does information qualify as “of value?”
- Do you think that the Trump campaign coordinated with the Russian government? Explain your answer.
Collusion: secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially with an intent to deceive others
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
President Joe Biden has given the initial nod for the U.S. to waive patent rights on COVID vaccines to boost international production. Continue reading
Hear from the secretary of Homeland Security about why reuniting separated families is a Biden administration priority Continue reading
Learn about the life of Jacques d’Amboise, ballet dancer who brought free dance education to public schools Continue reading
Understand why India is experiencing its worst COVID crisis even as other countries begin to recover Continue reading
Discuss whether public schools should be able to punish students for speech outside of the school Continue reading