Daily VideoOctober 26, 2018
Suspect arrested in bomb scares of top Democrats
Directions: Read the summary with your students, watch the video (if helpful, follow along with the transcript) and then answer the discussion questions. We recommend stopping the video at the 5-minute mark, for the sake of time.
Summary: On Friday, federal authorities arrested and charged 56-year old Florida resident Cesar Sayoc in connection with 13 mail bombings over the last few days that targeted several prominent Democrats and CNN. “These terrorizing acts are despicable and have no place in our country,” Trump said on Friday. “These are not hoax devices,” FBI director Christopher Wray said. Public figures targeted by the packages include President Barack Obama, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, former Vice President Joe Biden, Rep. Maxine Waters, Sen. Corey Booker, former CIA director John Brennan, businessman George Soros, among others. Authorities have said there could be more packages circulating in the mail system.
1. Essential question: What effects do you think rhetoric by politicians and media personalities have on people’s actions?
2. How should the government respond to the attempts at violence by this individual? How should the media cover the incident?
3. What effect do you think people’s violent actions could have on others?
4. Media literacy: Research three news outlets’ coverage of the bomb scares. How was news coverage similar between the organizations? How was it different?
1. Read NewsHour’s Suspect identified amid investigation into suspicious packages to learn more.
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Discuss the approvals behind vaccinating children for COVID-19 and the decision-making behind vaccine mandates Continue reading
Explore how this scientist’s discovery of a new tool to fight tuberculosis is also helping to shatter stereotypes Continue reading
Understand what the latest jobs report says about recovery from the COVID pandemic Continue reading
President Joe Biden has given the initial nod for the U.S. to waive patent rights on COVID vaccines to boost international production. Continue reading
Hear from the secretary of Homeland Security about why reuniting separated families is a Biden administration priority Continue reading