Daily VideoJanuary 26, 2017
Trump signs executive order for border wall construction
- On Wednesday, President Donald Trump moved forward on his campaign promises by taking executive action on immigration and border security.
- Trump signed an executive order green lighting the constructing of a border wall between the United States and Mexico, agreeing to fund the project with United States taxpayers’ money.
- The executive order also aims to reduce federal funding to “sanctuary cities,” which protect undocumented immigrants by loosely enforcing federal immigration policy.
- It is also intended to end the “catch and release” policy for undocumented immigrants and increase deportations.
- Immigration advocates say the order is “extreme” and has contributed to a “great fear” being spread across immigrant communities in the U.S., according to Marielena Hincapie of the National Immigration Law Center.
Class discussion questions
- Essential question: Why do president’s sign executive orders?
- How important was President Donald Trump’s promise to build a wall on the Mexican border to his campaign? Explain your answer.
- Mexican president Enrique Peña Nieto has expressed opposition to funding the border wall, despite what Donald Trump assured voters during his campaign. If Americans will have to foot the bill, do you believe Trump should reconsider? Explain your answer.
- Do you think sanctuary cities have a right to reject federal immigration policy by not handing over undocumented immigrants to federal authorities? Why or why not?
Laura Rockefeller, a junior at Roland Park Country School in Baltimore, Maryland and NewsHour Extra intern, contributed to today’s Daily News Story.
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Hear from two experts on what has led to violence in Israel and Palestine in recent weeks Continue reading
Discuss the approvals behind vaccinating children for COVID-19 and the decision-making behind vaccine mandates Continue reading
Explore how this scientist’s discovery of a new tool to fight tuberculosis is also helping to shatter stereotypes Continue reading
Understand what the latest jobs report says about recovery from the COVID pandemic Continue reading
President Joe Biden has given the initial nod for the U.S. to waive patent rights on COVID vaccines to boost international production. Continue reading