Daily VideoJuly 7, 2009
U.S. and Russia Agree to Reduce Nuclear Arms
President Obama and Russian President Dimitry Medvedev met yesterday in Moscow in the first U.S.-Russian summit in seven years.
In this video, Judy Woodruff reports on the two leaders’ agreement to reduce the number of their long-range nuclear missiles and to allow U.S. military equipment to fly through Russian airspace on its way to Afghanistan.
Judy also talks with NewsHour correspondent Margaret Warner, who attended the summit in Moscow, about the details of the talks and the state of U.S.-Russian relations.
“The president and I agreed that the relationship between Russia and the United States has suffered from a sense of drift. We resolved to reset U.S.-Russian relations so that we can cooperate more effectively in areas of common interest.” – President Barack Obama
“I view them as a first, but very important step in the process of improving full-scale cooperation between our two countries, which should go to the benefit of both states.” – Russian President Dimitry Medvedev
Warm Up Questions
1. Where is Russia?
2. What was the Soviet Union?
3. What was the Cold War?
1. The U.S. and the old Soviet Union used to be enemies on the brink of war. Why do you think the U.S. and Russia are on much better terms now?
2. Why did both countries agree to reduce their number of nuclear weapons?
3. Russia agreed to let the U.S. use their airspace to transport military equipment. What do you think Russia got out of the deal?
4. Is it important for large nations to cooperate? Why does the U.S. care about meeting and talking with other nations?
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
A new vaccine is approved, but some experts fear that states may be opening up a little too early Continue reading
Reflect on one teacher’s project to help students see the living history in their own time Continue reading
Discuss the film One Night in Miami and the reasons it was made Continue reading
What do you think federal and local authorities should do in response to an emergency like the storms in Texas? Continue reading
Discuss the significance of NASA’s latest mission to Mars. Continue reading