Daily VideoJanuary 29, 2018
You have to speak up: Lessons from the Holocaust
Note: This video contains graphic images of the Holocaust. Please preview before showing to your students.
- International Holocaust Remembrance Day is held each year as a way to remember the killing of 6 million Jews and millions of others during World War II.
- Holocaust survivor Reva Kibort tells the story of when German soldiers came to Warsaw, Poland. She was taken to a concentration camp at age 12; many children her same age were killed as well as her mother and father, cousins and grandparents.
- At a time when extreme right-wing groups, including anti-Semitic and anti-Muslim groups are on the rise, Kibort says, “We have to speak up. Wherever you see injustices at all, you have to speak up.”
- Essential question: Why are memorial events like International Holocaust Remembrance Day held?
- What are some other days of the year in which we memorialize the fallen or honor those who’ve suffered?
- When did you first learn about the Holocaust? From your family? In school? A book or a movie?
- How do you think the Holocaust should be taught?
- Read the quote by Reva Kibort one more time (see #3 above). Can you think of a time when you or someone you knew stood up to injustice? What were the circumstances? How did you feel at the time? How about now?
- What are some ways you can take a stand against intolerance and bigotry?
- Every Thursday night, the PBS NewsHour profiles people and their passions in the series Brief but Spectacular as a way to share original voices the public might otherwise not see. Using the Lesson plan: What’s your “Brief but Spectacular take? tag #BriefButSpectacular and @NewsHourExtra so we can all see your students work. Teachers–we’d love it if you participated as well.
- Read this Teachers’ Lounge piece for a teacher’s perspective on remembering the Holocaust.
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Learn about the Iowa caucuses and what to watch out for in Tuesday’s Democratic debate. Continue reading
Use this NewsHour lesson plan to learn more about Iran’s missile strikes on an Iraqi airbase that houses American and other international troops. Continue reading
In this NewsHour lesson plan, learn about the deadly wildfires raging across Australia. Continue reading
In this NewsHour lesson plan, students will learn about the hostilities taking place in Iraq, including the U.S. killing of Iran’s top General Qassem Soleimani. Continue reading
DOWNLOAD VIDEO Directions: Read the summary, watch the video and answer the questions. You can…