A contributor in Terre Haute, Indiana has a tiny brass eyeglass that, when peered through, reveals an image of Confederate president Jefferson Davis.
February 1862: the Confederate South has seized the upper hand in the "War Between the States". In the North, opposition to President Lincoln grows as fears spread his armies will be defeated. Secret societies form in the Union states bordering the South, united in opposition to both Lincoln and the war. Those southern sympathizers operating north of the Mason Dixon line are surprisingly powerful and dangerous.
The owner believes miniature “Davis” eyeglass pieces were a wartime adornment of Confederate supporters in the North who used these objects to secretly identify themselves to one another.
History Detectives travels to New York and Virginia to examine the intricacies of microphotography and the truth behind a possible sympathizer "secret handshake."
- Also in Season 4 Philadelphia Freedom Paper Is this document found in a flea market an original freedom paper for African-Americans?
- Also with Elyse Luray Drone Propellor Could this propellor have powered a top secret weapon that transformed modern warfare?
- Also with Elyse Luray Ronald McDonald Costume Is this the costume that helped serve up a billion Happy Meals?
- Also in Season 4 Mystery Crystal Cross Where did this mysterious religious relic discovered in an old Spanish mission originally come from?
- Also with Wes Cowan Manhattan Project Letter Did this letter help persuade President Harry S. Truman to change policy in the post war era?
- Related Investigation Copperhead Cane How did this cane inspire a fiery political movement that threatened Lincoln's presidency?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.