History Detectives examines century old photos that may have captured the dawn of American movie-making – nearly 3000 miles from Hollywood.
One of the books holds many Western scenes, including a cowboy character captioned, "Herbert Lubin." Other captions refer to the Siegmund Lubin Studios.
Who was Siegmund Lubin? And was Herbie Lubin a movie star?
History Detectives goes on an excursion through an early movie mogul’s dramatic rise and fall.
- Related Investigation Houdini Poster Could these be original theatre posters of the greatest magician on earth?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Red Cloud Letter How was a leader of the Lakota people connected with the controversial sculptor of Mount Rushmore?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Tiffany Window What can this watercolor reveal about the unexpected world of one of America’s great artists?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Jackie Robinson Scorecard What does this scorecard reveal about the desegregation of our national pastime?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Pop Lloyd Baseball Field Why was this baseball field named after an African-American ballplayer in a time of racial tension?
- Related Investigation Jigsaw Puzzle Does this puzzle depict a real event - women playing contact sports in the late 19th century?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.