Mystery Crystal Cross
The current chief of the Apalachee Tribe has a crystal cross that was discovered at an archeological dig of an old Spanish mission. He wants to know if it could possibly have been made centuries ago by his own ancestors.
About 15 years ago, archeologists at the Mission San Luis in Tallahassee, Florida made an astonishing discovery. In the process of excavating several hundred bodies at the site of this 17th century Spanish mission, they unearthed a beautiful and undamaged glass-like cross.
The current Chief of the Apalachee Tribe says his ancestors once lived near the mission, but fled when British forces raided in the early 1700s.
History Detectives journeys to Florida to examine the Spanish efforts to proselytize among native tribes and explore the fusing of native and Christian ideologies and symbols into a unique version of New World Catholicism.
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Fiery Cross What is the story behind this record?
- Related Investigation Moon Museum Was work by major artists, including Andy Warhol, smuggled to the moon?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Woolworth Sign Were these signs part of the scene in an early victory for Civil Rights?
- Also in Season 4 Houdini Poster Could these be original theatre posters of the greatest magician on earth?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Car Tape Deck Is this an example of the first ever commercially produced car tape player?
- Related Investigation Koranic School Book Why does this 200 year old schoolbook contain two translated passages from the Koran?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.