Red Cloud's Peace Pipe
Was this pipe given to a Californian woman's ancestor by the famous warrior Chief Red Cloud?
The ancestor was the Indian agent who moved the Oglala Lakota to a Reservation in South Dakota.
Would Chief Red Cloud have given such a gift to a U.S. government official?
The History Detectives go back to the turbulent days of the 1870s and a battle of wills and political scandal that reached the highest levels of government.
- Also in Industrialization: 1870-1900 Texas Servant Girl Murders Years before Jack the Ripper, did a serial killer walk the streets of Austin, TX?
- Also with Wes Cowan Yakima Canutt's Saddle What leading role did this saddle play in the birth of the Hollywood cowboy?
- Also with Wes Cowan Civil War Balloon Could this piece of frayed material be from the country's first military airship?
- Also with Wes Cowan Marion Carpenter Camera What might this battered camera reveal about a photographer who changed the image of a U.S president?
- Related Investigation John Adams Book Was this book a gift from John Adams to his son?
- Also in Season 2 John Hunt Morgan Saddle Could this be a saddle from one of the most audacious attacks launched by the South during the Civil War?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.