Thomas Edison's House
Was this home designed and built by inventor Thomas Edison?
Did the inventor of the electric light, the motion picture camera and wireless telegraphy also try to re-invent the way houses were built?
History detective and architectural historian Gwen Wright investigates and discovers a surprising story of technological innovation, failed inventions and an approach to housing that was 30 years ahead of its time.
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Navajo Rug Why would a weaver depart from tradition to make this rug?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Coney Island Lions Could this be an artifact from the bygone days of early amusement parks?
- Related Investigation Home of Lincoln Assassination Plot Did the plot to assassinate Abraham Lincoln begin in this New York City building?
- Also in this episode Goering Gun Did this shotgun belong to Hitler's right hand man?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Our Colored Heroes Is this a WWI recruitment poster... or something else?
- Related Investigation Natchez House How did a free man of color come to own this house twelve years before emancipation?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.