WWII Landing Craft
In the harbor of Bayfield, Wisconsin a craft used for dredging and hauling rocks could hold a dramatic secret.
A local man whose father fought in the Second World War claims that, 60 years ago the vessel played a vital role in the D-Day landings, when it transported American tanks on to the beaches of Normandy.
Could this ship really be one of the 1500 'Landing Craft Tanks' designed and built to support the amphibious landings of World War II?
And did it really see action off the beaches of France?
History Detectives goes to Wisconsin and investigates.
- Also with Elyse Luray Grace Kelly Car Is this the car driven by an actress turned princess, which would give it a place in cinematic history?
- Also with Elyse Luray Lafayette China Did the Marquis de Lafayette give this china set to the popular wife of the Patriot Mayor?
- Also with Elyse Luray Mouse Toy Could this tiny toy labeled 'Micky' be the original Mickey Mouse?
- Also in Season 2 Koranic School Book Why does this 200 year old schoolbook contain two translated passages from the Koran?
- Related Investigation The Disappearance of Glenn Miller In 1944, bandleader Glenn Miller boarded a plane for Paris and was never seen again. What happened?
- Related Investigation Drone Propellor Could this propellor have powered a top secret weapon that transformed modern warfare?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.