The History Detectives have traveled the length and breadth of the country, delving into family legends, local folklore and stories behind potentially extraordinary objects in everyday American homes, cities and small towns.
Browse the investigations on the map and see what we've revealed in your area.
- Techniques Do's And Don'ts Your definitive list of do's and don'ts when carrying out historical research.
- Techniques Gun Timeline A timeline of firearm history.
- Investigations Drone Propellor Could this propellor have powered a top secret weapon that transformed modern warfare?
- Techniques Property Search How to carry out a property search.
- Investigations Highlander Badge Could an amateur treasure diver really have found a possible Revolutionary War artifact?
- Techniques Case File: Mystery Moran How to know if unwanted 'junk' is a hidden treasure.
- Investigations Face Jug What does this ceramic face reveal about the Middle Passage and a captive people’s search for identity?
- Investigations Red Cloud Letter How was a leader of the Lakota people connected with the controversial sculptor of Mount Rushmore?
- Techniques Forensic Anthropology How to use a multi-disciplinary approach to uncover the secrets hidden in bones.
- Investigations Bonnie & Clyde's Bullets Are these the bullets that ended one of the most infamous crime-sprees in American history?
- Techniques Genealogy - Getting Started Step-by-step where to start guide when using genealogy.
- Investigations Lindbergh-Sikorsky Fabric How do the signatures on this patch of fabric connect Charles Lindbergh to another first in flight?
- Investigations Japanese Carved Cane What can the message on this cane expose about life behind barbed wire in World War II America?
- Techniques Building Background Discover more about a building's history.
- Techniques Photographs - Checklist Printable checklist to use when analyzing photographs.
- Techniques Preservation - Checklist Printable checklist to use when preserving an item.
- Techniques Genealogy - Glossary A list of useful words to know when using genealogy.
- Investigations Theremin How did this strange instrument help spark a rock n’ roll revolution?
- Investigations Mystery Crystal Cross Where did this mysterious religious relic discovered in an old Spanish mission originally come from?
- Investigations WB Cartoons What can this curious artwork tell us about some of our most beloved cartoon characters?
- Investigations Jackie Robinson Scorecard What does this scorecard reveal about the desegregation of our national pastime?
- Investigations Lookout Mountain Painting What can this painting tell us about a turning point in the Civil War?
- Techniques Historical Research - Checklist Printable checklist to use when doing historical research.
- Techniques Document Examination How to determine authenticity and authorship of a document.
- Investigations Pebble in the Sand Is this rock found on a beach a link to an ancient civilization or just another pebble in the sand?
- Techniques Written Items - Checklist Printable checklist to use when examining written items.
- Investigations Civil War Deringers Are these pistols union or rebel?
- Investigations Black Tom Shell Is this shell from a devastating act of foreign sabotage on American soil?
- Investigations Anti-Slavery Flag Did this old sheet found in a family trunk contribute to the end of slavery in America?
- Investigations Koranic School Book Why does this 200 year old schoolbook contain two translated passages from the Koran?
- Techniques Case File: WWII Find out how this historian researched a relative.
- Techniques Very Old Objects How to discover fascinating history, from very old objects.
- Techniques Stones And Minerals - Checklist Printable checklist to use when studying stones and minerals.
- Techniques Patent Analysis Find out the origin and detail surrounding an invention or innovation.
- Techniques Case File: Marriage Of Convenience How to discover things you didn't know about people.
- Investigations Black Star Line Is this certificate a rare artifact from the heyday of Marcus Garvey?