The History Detectives have traveled the length and breadth of the country, delving into family legends, local folklore and stories behind potentially extraordinary objects in everyday American homes, cities and small towns.
Browse the investigations on the map and see what we've revealed in your area.
- Investigations African American Comic Book Did the makers of this 1950s comic book have more than romance on their minds?
- Investigations Satelloon Could this three-inch square of metallic material be part of America's first satellite program?
- Investigations Geronimo Photograph Is this photo really an image of the legendary Apache warrior Geronimo?
- Investigations Liberty Bell Pin Was one of America’s most iconic symbols melted down into a mere memento?
- Techniques Archives - Checklist A printable 'To Do' list to use when using archives.
- Techniques Property Search How to carry out a property search.
- Investigations Crazy Horse Photo Is this the only photograph of a Native American legend?
- Techniques Oral History Learn how to record oral or spoken history.
- Investigations Mouse Toy Could this tiny toy labeled 'Micky' be the original Mickey Mouse?
- Techniques Case File: A Soldier's Fortune Find out how this historian used archives when investigating his family's history.
- Investigations Chisholm Trail Did the Chisholm Trail really run through this small town in Texas?
- Investigations Pebble in the Sand Is this rock found on a beach a link to an ancient civilization or just another pebble in the sand?
- Investigations Napolean's Sword Did Napoleon bestow this sword as a gift to a brave ancestor of a St. Martinville family?
- Techniques Forensic Anthropology How to use a multi-disciplinary approach to uncover the secrets hidden in bones.
- Investigations Army Muster Roll What can a Continental Army muster roll tell us about this remarkable African-American soldier?
- Techniques Photographs Learn how to analyze your photographs.
- Investigations Thomas Edison's House Was this New Jersey home built by inventor Thomas Edison?
- Techniques Appraisal Glossary A List of useful words and phrases for Appraising.
- Techniques Appraising Getting a valuation using an independent source or expert opinion.
- Techniques Very Old Objects - Checklist Printable checklist to use when examining very old objects.
- Techniques Patent Analysis Find out the origin and detail surrounding an invention or innovation.
- Techniques Weapon Dating Determining the age of a weapon.
- Techniques Gun Timeline A timeline of firearm history.
- Investigations Annie Oakley Coin Was this coin a target for one of the Wild West's most popular female sharpshooters?
- Techniques Case File: Quirky Quilts How to look after a very old quilt.
- Techniques African-American Genealogy
- Techniques Genealogy Learn how to successfully investigate your family history.
- Investigations Lubin Photos What do these photo albums reveal about the birth of the silver screen?
- Investigations Seadrome Did floating airports dot the Atlantic before modern air travel?
- Investigations Cleveland Electric Car What happened to the electric street car network in Cleveland?
- Techniques Historical Research - Checklist Printable checklist to use when doing historical research.
- Techniques Paper Analysis Learn how to analyze paper to determine its age and origin.
- Investigations Charlie Parker's Saxophone Could this be jazz legend Charlie "Bird" Parker's saxophone?
- Investigations Bonnie & Clyde's Bullets Are these the bullets that ended one of the most infamous crime-sprees in American history?
- Investigations Early Monopoly Could this be the earliest version of the world's best-selling board game?
- Techniques Ballistics Collecting clues and evidence from bullets and firearms.