The History Detectives have traveled the length and breadth of the country, delving into family legends, local folklore and stories behind potentially extraordinary objects in everyday American homes, cities and small towns.
Browse the investigations on the map and see what we've revealed in your area.
- Techniques Patent Analysis Find out the origin and detail surrounding an invention or innovation.
- Investigations Korean War Letter What does this letter reveal about a forgotten act of heroism during the final days of the Korean War?
- Techniques Very Old Objects How to discover fascinating history, from very old objects.
- Techniques Case File: Mystery Moran How to know if unwanted 'junk' is a hidden treasure.
- Investigations Home of Lincoln Assassination Plot Did the plot to assassinate Abraham Lincoln begin in this New York City building?
- Investigations WWII Diary Does this diary hold the key to understanding the fate of a missing bomber pilot from World War II?
- Techniques Gun Timeline A timeline of firearm history.
- Investigations Civil War Sabotage? The steamship Sultana exploded one night in 1865, killing more than 1,800 people. Was the disaster a result of Civil War sabotage?
- Techniques Analyzing Art Taking a closer look at works of art.
- Techniques Do's And Don'ts Your definitive list of do's and don'ts when carrying out historical research.
- Investigations Railroad Station Is a disused depot the first railroad station in Texas?
- Techniques Military History - WWII Learn how to research a WWII veteran’s military record.
- Investigations Liberty Bell Pin Was one of America’s most iconic symbols melted down into a mere memento?
- Techniques Preservation Learn how to preserve papers, books, photographs and textiles.
- Techniques Archives - Checklist A printable 'To Do' list to use when using archives.
- Investigations Cesar Chavez Banner What role did this banner play in one of the most famous civil rights campaigns in U.S. history?
- Techniques Stones And Minerals - Checklist Printable checklist to use when studying stones and minerals.
- Investigations Star Spangled Banner Is this the first official copy of the national anthem?
- Investigations Liberia Letter Does this letter help to trace one freed man’s dream to return to Africa?
- Investigations War Dog letter The military put great effort into a new War Dogs program during WWII. What went wrong on Cat Island?
- Investigations Highlander Badge Could an amateur treasure diver really have found a possible Revolutionary War artifact?
- Investigations General Lee's Farewell Address Could this be a signed copy of one of the most famous documents in the history of the Civil War?
- Techniques Very Old Objects - Checklist Printable checklist to use when examining very old objects.
- Techniques Genealogy Learn how to successfully investigate your family history.
- Techniques Case File: Soldiers In Skirts How to use military records to help you learn about your family.
- Investigations Tiffany Window What can this watercolor reveal about the unexpected world of one of America’s great artists?
- Techniques Weapon Dating Determining the age of a weapon.
- Investigations Bob Dylan Guitar Is this the guitar Bob Dylan played at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965?
- Techniques Case File: Hidden Meanings Finding out more about the author of a diary.
- Investigations Jackie Robinson Scorecard What does this scorecard reveal about the desegregation of our national pastime?
- Techniques Case File: My Indiana Home Finding out more about your home.
- Investigations Revolutionary War Poem How did this poem, written by an American prisoner in England in 1780 end up in Oregon 200 years later?
- Investigations NC-4: First Across The Atlantic Is this piece of fabric a remnant from the first transatlantic flight?
- Investigations Bonus Army Stamp Is this stamp connected to a moment when the U.S. Army fought fellow soldiers in the nation’s capital?
- Techniques Paper Analysis Learn how to analyze paper to determine its age and origin.
- Techniques Appraisal Glossary A List of useful words and phrases for Appraising.