The History Detectives have traveled the length and breadth of the country, delving into family legends, local folklore and stories behind potentially extraordinary objects in everyday American homes, cities and small towns.
Browse the investigations on the map and see what we've revealed in your area.
- Techniques Property Search How to carry out a property search.
- Investigations Lost City of Gold What can these carved letters reveal about the first explorers to visit the American Southwest?
- Investigations Fillmore Pardon Did President Fillmore pardon a Native American convicted of murder?
- Techniques Document Examination How to determine authenticity and authorship of a document.
- Techniques African-American Genealogy
- Techniques Case File: My Indiana Home Finding out more about your home.
- Investigations GAR Photograph How did two African Americans come to be part of this photograph in Reconstructionist-era America?
- Techniques Case File: Quirky Quilts How to look after a very old quilt.
- Investigations Shipwreck Cannons Are these the last remains of a navy schooner that fought in a border dispute with the mighty British Empire?
- Techniques Geological Analysis Learn how to identify probable age and origin of ceramic, stone and tile objects
- Techniques Weapon Dating Determining the age of a weapon.
- Techniques Case File: WWII Find out how this historian researched a relative.
- Investigations Mexican Currency What role did this money play in the Mexican Revolution?
- Investigations NC-4: First Across The Atlantic Is this piece of fabric a remnant from the first transatlantic flight?
- Investigations Lincoln Oath Was this note penned by Abraham Lincoln?
- Techniques Building Background - Checklist A printable 'To Do' list to use when investigating buildings
- Investigations Manhattan Project Patent Was this drawing part of America's secret plans to fuel the atomic bomb?
- Investigations Galleon Shipwreck Is this a piece of treasure from a Spanish galleon washed up on an Oregon beach?
- Techniques Archives - Checklist A printable 'To Do' list to use when using archives.
- Techniques Gun Timeline A timeline of firearm history.
- Techniques Glossary A list of useful words and phrase for carrying out historical research.
- Investigations Internment Artwork What is the story behind these watercolor paintings of a prison camp?
- Investigations Red Hand Flag Is this peculiar flag one that African-American soldiers marched under in the war to end all wars?
- Investigations Stalag 17 Portrait What happened to the artist of this portrait made in a German POW camp?
- Techniques Oral History Learn how to record oral or spoken history.
- Techniques Appraising Getting a valuation using an independent source or expert opinion.
- Investigations Japanese House How did a Japanese house come to be at the San Francisco World's Fair just months before WWII began?
- Investigations Lindbergh Engine Could a 24-year-old have single-handedly built the engine for Lindbergh's plane?
- Investigations Galvez Papers What stories do these faded legal pages reveal about a revolutionary war hero’s role in an unexpected love affair?
- Techniques Patent Analysis Find out the origin and detail surrounding an invention or innovation.
- Techniques Case File: Rock n' Research How to identify rocks.
- Investigations Snowshoe's Mailbag Was this the satchel Snowshoe Thompson used to deliver his mail?
- Investigations Alcoholics Anonymous Letter Is this letter proof of one man's contribution to this secretive society?
- Techniques Tracking People Learn how to research a person using public records.
- Investigations Houdini Poster Could these be original theatre posters of the greatest magician on earth?
- Techniques Photographs Learn how to analyze your photographs.