Visit Your Local PBS Station PBS Home PBS Home Programs A-Z TV Schedules Support PBS Shop PBS Search PBS
About the seriesResourcesVeterans History ProjectFor educatorsPurchase The WarContact us
At HomeAt WarThe WitnessesSearch & Explore
Media GalleryThemes & TopicsFavorites
Back to Search Results New Search
Keyword: Go
Harry Schmid
Harry Schmid
Sacramento, CA
Harry Schmid was born in 1921, a 5th generation Sacramentan. His father worked for the telephone company and moved the family to Stockton in the mid 1930s, but Schmid returned to Sacramento after high school, got a job as a bookkeeper at the telephone company and studied accounting at Sacramento Community College. He was drafted in November of 1941, and went on active duty a few weeks after Pearl Harbor.

He was trained as a medic, then assigned to work in an army hospital in the United States, but, he says, he didnít want to change bedpans for the whole war, and volunteered to become a pilot. His less than perfect eyesight disqualified him from becoming a fighter pilot, so he trained to became a glider pilot instead. He also received infantry training because after landing his glider behind enemy lines, he would need to fight on the ground as well. In January of 1944, he was assigned to the 96th Squadron, 440th Troop Carrier Group in the 9th Air Force.

Schmid was scheduled to fly on D-Day, but his group was scratched at the last minute. He flew his first combat mission August 15, 1944, as part of the invasion of Southern France. Three days after the landings, he was evacuated and sent back to England for more training

In September of 1944, Schmid flew into Holland as part of the largest aerial mission of the war, Operation Market Garden. Because so many pilots had been lost in Normandy, an infantry sergeant flew in his co-pilot seat, and Schmid tried to teach him as much as possible about flying the glider while they were en route to the drop zone. Schmid did manage to land safely, and was then assigned to help guard a command post of the 82nd Airborne near the town of Groosbeck. He and his unit spent weeks behind the lines, subjected to constant German shelling.

During the Battle of the Bulge, Schmid was co-pilot in a C-47 and flew several missions dropping supplies into Bastogne. He remembered that the German anti-aircraft fire lit up the night sky like fireworks on the 4th of July.

On March 24, 1945, Schmid flew his last combat mission, as part of a massive airborne drop across the Rhine. It was his worst mission of the war.
His landing zone was under direct enemy fire, and many of the gliders in his unit were badly shot up coming in. Schmid lost four good friends that day and of his six roommates, only he and one other man survived. A German sniper zeroed in on Schmid as soon as he landed, and he was shot in the stomach, but the bullet hit his cartridge belt and the injury was not severe. He had to wait 24 hours before being evacuated to the west bank of the Rhine.

After the war, Schmid returned to Sacramento, married and had four children. He became a stockbroker, and went to law school at night on the GI Bill.