Visit Your Local PBS Station PBS Home PBS Home Programs A-Z TV Schedules Support PBS Shop PBS Search PBS
About the seriesResourcesVeterans History ProjectFor educatorsPurchase The WarContact us
At HomeAt WarThe WitnessesSearch & Explore
Media GalleryThemes & TopicsFavorites
Back to Search Results New Search
Keyword: Go
Jackie Greer
Jackie Greer
Jackie Greer was born February 18, 1923 in northern Louisiana. Her father was a teacher and school principal. She spent a year at Monroe Louisiana Junior College, then attended Louisiana Tech in Ruston.

In the summer of l941 after her second year of college, Greer's father was hired to run a school near Baton Rouge and the family moved there. After Pearl Harbor, Jackie and her younger sister Nelwyn both wanted to participate in the war effort and signed up for a six week stenography course. With their newly acquired skills in shorthand and typing, both got clerical jobs at the Harding Field, an Army Air Force training base for P-47 Thunderbolt pilots that had just opened. In her free time she knit sweaters for soldiers, went to the train station and the courthouse to see the local boys off to war, and regularly attended dances at the base, helping to entertain the servicemen there. She did not date anyone regularly, and recalls "my idea of a successful week was to go out with at least four boys in the week."

At a Valentine's Day "ladies' choice" dance in February of 1944, Greer picked out the best dancer on the floor and asked him to dance -- fighter pilot in training, Quentin Aanenson, of Luverne, Minnesota. Greer was not feeling well that night, and after just one dance, she said goodnight, hurried home and confided to her sister, "tonight I met the man I'm going to marry." For the next ninety days, until Aanenson shipped out overseas, they saw each other almost every night, and as Greer remembers, "fell madly in love." Before he left, Aanenson made Greer promise not to date any other man more than three times, and she readily agreed.

Throughout the ten months that Aanenson was overseas, they wrote to each other every day, each trying to keep the other's spirits up until they could meet again. Greer did her best to keep track of the Allied progress in the war by listening to the radio, reading the papers, and marking the advancing lines on a large map of Europe.

In April of 1945 Aanenson came to Baton Rouge while home on leave, and proposed. They were married a few weeks later. They have three children and eight grandchildren.