Visit Your Local PBS Station PBS Home PBS Home Programs A-Z TV Schedules Support PBS Shop PBS Search PBS
About the seriesResourcesVeterans History ProjectFor educatorsPurchase The WarContact us
At HomeAt WarThe WitnessesSearch & Explore
Media GalleryThemes & TopicsFavorites
Back to Search Results New Search
Keyword: Go
Tom Galloway
Tom Galloway
Mobile, AL
Thomas M. Galloway an only child, was born December 14, 1923 and grew up in Mobile, Alabama. His father was in charge of the United States Lighthouse Service Supply Base located in Mobile which serviced lights and aids to navigation along the Gulf Coast. Tom entered the army in the spring of 1943, during his senior year in ROTC at Auburn University. He was sent to Officer Candidate School and trained to be an artillery officer and forward observer.

In the summer of l944, Galloway arrived in France, and was assigned to the 28th Infantry Division as a replacement 2nd lieutenant in the 109th Field Artillery Battalion. On September 11, 1944, the 28th Division was the first to cross the border into Germany.

On November 2, l944, Galloway and the 28th were ordered into the Hurtgen Forest, just south of the German city of Aachen. The two divisions that had fought in the forest in October had lost 4500 men in three weeks " and moved less than three miles. The 28th would suffer similar losses there: in two weeks of fighting the officers of every single rifle company would be killed or wounded. Of the 15,000 men from the 28th who started into the forest, only 7,000 emerged unhurt. Galloway survived, with wounds treated by the battalion surgeon who used a house at the edge of the forest for a make shift hospital.

He and his unit were sent for rest and recuperation to a quiet area near the town of Buckholz just west of the Our River in Luxemburg. At 5:30AM on December 16th, Galloway was awakened by a German artillery round landing in the garden of the house where he was sleeping. It was the beginning of the massive German counter-attack that would come to be known as the Battle of the Bulge. Galloway was able to hold out against the German onslaught for a few days, but on December 19th was captured while on reconnaissance near the town of Margaret, about five kilometers from Bastogne. He was taken to Germany and imprisoned at Stalag 2A, Stalag 4B, and finally Offflag 13B in Hammelburg, near Frankfurt.

Galloway met fellow Mobilian Lieutenant Herndon Inge in Hammelburg, and both were there when an ill fated task force sent by General Patton arrived to liberate the prisoners in late March of 1945. Galloway escaped briefly, but after a few days on the run was recaptured. He was finally liberated in May and returned home that June. He finished college, went to law school, married Alma Gholston of Fitzpatrick Alabama, had three children, and has worked in his own law firm in Mobile ever since.