16 Things to Know About....Chris Christie
1. He is currently the 55th Governor of New Jersey. He has been governor since 2010.
2. He was U.S. attorney for New Jersey from 2002 to 2008. During this time, Christie prosecuted over 130 public officials for corruption.
3. Christie was named one of the 100 most influential people by TIME Magazine in 2011 and 2013.
4. He is a huge Bruce Springsteen fan. Christie claims he’s been to over 100 of Springsteen’s performances.
5. In high school, Christie was class president for three years. He made his 2016 presidential campaign announcement at Livingston High School, his alma mater.
6. Christie has been married to his wife, Mary Pat Christie since 1986. They have four children.
7. Members of Christie’s staff and administration were involved in the “Bridgegate” scandal in which traffic lanes leading to George Washington Bridge were closed during morning rush hour. This led to massive traffic jams for days. Although he was investigated, Christie was exonerated.
8. In 2013, he had lap band surgery for weight loss. He stated the surgery was the best thing he’s ever done for his health.
9. His favorite sports team is the New York Mets. His favorite football team is the Dallas Cowboys.
10. Other than the four years he attended college at the University of Delaware, Christie has lived in New Jersey his whole life.
11. Christie says his interest in politics came from watching “Meet the Press” with his grandmother.
12. He has honorary doctorates from Rutgers University and Monmouth University.
13. From 1999 and 2001, Christie worked as a lobbyist for his law firm. He lobbied on behalf of energy companies to deregulate New Jersey’s electric and gas industry and on behalf of the University of Phoenix for a New Jersey education license.
14. Early in his political career, Christie considered himself pro-choice but says that hearing his daughter’s heartbeat before her birth changed his position to pro-life.
15. He fundraised for George W. Bush during his 2000 campaign. The former president even gave Christie the nickname “Big Boy.”
16. The former governor of New Jersey Thomas Kean was Christie’s mentor. They first met in the 1970s when Christie showed up on Kean’s doorstep and asked him how to succeed in politics. At the time, Christie was 15.
16 Things to Know About....Donald Trump
16 Things to Know About....Rick Santorum
16 Things to Know About....Bobby Jindal
16 Things to Know About….Ted Cruz
16 Things to Know About….Rand Paul
16 Things to Know About....Mike Huckabee
16 Things to Know About....Carly Fiorina
16 Things to Know About....Marco Rubio
Photo: Chris Christie speaking at CPAC 2014 in National Harbor, Maryland [Gage Skidmore / Flickr].