Physicists often revel in the elegance of their equations, but some think it’s gone too far. NOVA Next contributor Sarah Scolesreports the story.
In other news:
- What happens when you’re no longer the girl next door from “The Wonder Years” ? Math helped Danica McKellar discover that she’s so much more than the child actress who played Winnie Cooper.
- The universe is expanding faster than expected , and we don’t know why.
- Schrödinger’s cat—entangled and sliced in half—could help build better quantum computers .
- Gravitational waves could finally help us prove string theory .
What We’re Reading
- Elon Musk thinks we’re all characters in an advanced civilization’s video game . [Vox]
- Scientists have announced HGP-Write, a project to synthesize the human genome . [The New York Times]
- The F.D.A. is proposing guidelines for salt added to food. [The New York Times]
- Scientists have discovered a gigantic sea sponge in Hawaii . [The Guardian]